The North in 100 Songs will see Manchester-based illustrator, Stanley Chow, create a series of portraits of the top 100 voted artists while the Great Northern All-Star Band, led by Peter and David Brewis of Field Music, performs a selection of the chosen tracks in The Great Northern Songbook (23 June 2018) as part of Lauren Laverne’s Great Northern Soundtrack.
Other artists joining the Great Northern Soundtrack line-up are:
- Manchester’s super-group of producers and MCs, LEVELZ (30 June 2018)
- Newcastle’s underground club promoters, World Headquarters, with special guests, the Voices of Virtue Choir (29 June 2018)
Other Great Exhibition of The North highlights include:
- Royal Northern Sinfonia’s Sampler Day (7 July 2018)
- Paul Smith’s Parental Guidance Party (1 July 2018)
- A celebration of six years of In Harmony Newcastle Gateshead (25 June 2018)
- CoMusica Presents The Bands: a day of performances and workshops by young people experiencing challenging circumstances (30 June 2018)
- Music Spark Show: a concert featuring young aspiring community musicians with additional needs (6 July 2018)
There will also be Concourse performances by schoolchildren, youth groups, choirs and ensembles and a gala performance by young musicians from across the North-East.
Tamsin Austin, Director of Performance Programme at Sage Gateshead, said:
‘Whether you sang along with The Futureheads at Glastonbury or you’re loving IAMDDB’s latest track; if West End Girls was the first single you bought or if Valerie is your karaoke song, Sage Gateshead wants to know which Northern song you love the most, using the hashtag #NorthIn100Songs or by voting on our website. We’re asking the public to nominate whichever song they think best sums up the North for them – either about the North, for the North or by those from the North.’
Peter and David Brewis of Field Music will be putting together the exclusive Great Northern All-Star Band