Somerset House, Strand, London WC2R, United Kingdom
- Esmée Fairbairn Foundation
- Cockayne Grants for the Arts, The London Community Foundation
- PRS for Music Foundation
- 'Emma-Kate Matthews on architectural influences' - British Music Collection
- David Roche on marginal voices and shredding guitars - British Music Collection
Previous Portfolio composers include:
- Chandra Chapman, Artur Vidal and Dan Scott with the Bohman Brothers and Richard Thomas
- Ben Tassie, Chris Roe, Eugene Birman and Lee Westwood with Aluminium Music and Joby Burgess
- Chloe Knibbs, Daniel Kidane and Edward Nesbitt with The Riot Ensemble
- Pia Palme, Luke Nickel, Michael Perrett and Charlie Usher with EXAUDI
- Seth Bennett, Rachel Musson, Shelly Knotts, Julie Kjaer, Shaun Blezard and Anton Hunter with Steve Beresford
- Eloise Gynn, Lee Westwood and Clay Gold with MUSARC
- Egidija Medeksaite, Eugene Birman, Michael Cryne with Ruthless Jabiru
- Beatrice Dillon and Matthias Kispert with Wet Sounds
- Bernard Hughes, Sarah Lianne Lewis and Na'ama Zisser with Juice
- Benjamin Gait, Ben Gaunt, Charlotte Harding and Patrick Jones with Ensemble 10:10
- Kate Whitley, Sakoto Doi-Luck and Kim Ashton with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
- 'Working with Sound and Music on their Portfolio scheme has shown us a dizzying array of new composing talent. In choosing Rasmus Zwicki and Amble Skuse we anticipate two wildly exciting new Paraorchestra premieres. These two fierce creative spirits could not be more welcome!' Charles Hazlewood, conductor and founder of the British Paraorchestra
- 'I am most excited to work with Portfolio because it enables me to take the leap from composing for dance, theatre, film or whatever to writing concert music. This will give me a chance to try and manifest all these abstract ideas I have, to experiment and explore new territory with the quartet, getting mentoring and support and hopefully ending up with work which is challenging, beautiful and modern.' Dom Bouffard, composer
- 'As a composer who also performs as an electric guitarist, the opportunity that this Portfolio project offered to work in the capacity of a composer with four other electric guitarists was very attractive to me indeed. It feels like this opportunity has come at a particularly important time for both elements of my practice; after a substantial period of time of focussing solely on my work as a composer, I have recently become more active as a guitarist again, and I think this project gives me a very interesting chance to examine these two elements of my practice in relation to one another.' Alex Mackay, composer
- To allow composers to develop a portfolio of compositions in collaboration with professional ensembles and presenting organisations and deliver this work to public audiences.
Portfolio enables them to develop their portfolio of compositions and gain vital artistic and practical insight and experience in working with professional ensembles and presenting organisations and delivering new work to public audiences.
Selected composers are invited to develop a small-scale, short new work for a collaborative partner. These are developed through a series of workshops during which the composer works in close collaboration with the performers supported by an experienced composer mentor. The process culminates in a public performance of the new work within the ensemble’s performance schedule.