The leading international music industry organisation Midem has announced the list of 20 Midemlab 2020 finalists, all pitching during the inaugural Midem Digital Edition which takes place online from 2-5 June 2020.
Midemlab 2020 marks the 13th edition of the competition which aims to discover the most promising international startups developing new technologies to reshape the music industry. This year’s four pitching sessions for selected finalists and the winners’ announcement will be broadcast on the Midem Digital platform, the debut online edition of the conference, taking place June 2-5, and available to everyone for free.
The five finalists in the Music Creation & Education category are:
- Boomy (USA) – a solution to make instant songs, even if you’ve never made music before
- MuseMind (France) – software for video game and audiovisual production industry professionals
- Paradiddle (USA) – learn and play the drums in virtual reality
- RIYAZ (India) – an app that helps people learn how to sing
- Solfeg.io (Latvia) – simplifying music teaching in schools and inspiring practising at home
Previous Midemlab winners include Soundcloud, Kickstarter, The Echo Nest (acquired by Spotify), Next Big Sound (acquired by Pandora) Asaii (acquired by Apple) and BandPage (acquired by YouTube).
The 20 finalists were selected from 226 submissions from 49 countries. The competition’s 20 finalists were selected by Midemlab’s partners, Music Ally, the leading digital strategy and music industry intelligence company, Plus 8 Equity, a music tech venture firm, and The Lynk, an agency connecting creative industries and startups.
Alexandre Deniot, Midem Director, said:
‘The diversity of entries demonstrates the dynamism of entrepreneurship in the music industry all over the world. Interestingly and excitingly, 14% of submissions have come from startups in Africa.’