The final of the 65th ROSL (Royal Over-Seas League) Annual Music Competition took place at London’s Cadogan Hall on Wednesday 7 June 2017.
The centrepiece of ROSL ARTS‘ year-round programme of events, the competition offers more than £75,000 in awards with a £10,000 first prize for solo performers and two chamber ensemble awards of £10,000.
The Gold Medal Prize of £10,000 was awarded by by HRH Princess Alexandra to bass trombonist, James Buckle, the first time the prize has been won by a brass player in the competition’s 65-year history.
All the section final winners as well as the winner of the accompanist prize received £5,000 each with this year’s section finals held in ROSL’s Princess Alexandra Hall throughout February and March 2017.
Winners were as follows:
- Wind, brass and percussion – Winner: James Buckle (bass trombone)
- Singers – Winner: Nicholas Mogg (baritone)
- Strings – Winner: Mathilde Milwidsky (violin)
- Keyboard – Winner: Dominic Degavino (piano)
- Ensemble A (Strings & Keyboard) – Winner: Bertram Lynette (piano duo)
- Ensemble B (Wind and Mixed) – Winner: Kabantu
- Over-Seas Award – Winner: Abel Selaocoe (cello)
Header photo: James Buckle © ROSL