Uniting the Commonwealth through music during COVID-19
The Uniting the Commonwealth through music during COVID-19 project is a never-before-attempted musical feat to combine the voices of 54 musicians from the 54 member countries in one powerful virtual performance.
Delivered in partnership with a professional music group, Dionysus Ensemble, the project will demonstrate the power of music and art to lift spirits, improve mental health and encourage international camaraderie, as countries face up to the challenges of the pandemic.
Layne Robinson, the Commonwealth Secretariat’s head of social policy development, said: ‘This is a great opportunity to work with an outstanding and internationally recognised music partner to showcase the amazing talent and rich cultural diversity in 54 countries.’
Applicants will perform to a track produced by the Dionysus Ensemble. They will also be required to record a short video about themselves and their community.
Terms & Conditions
- You must be currently resident in the country of your nationality – you must be in your home country at the moment.
- You must be able to read sheet music or be able to learn your part by ear from an audio track.
- You must have access to a smart phone or other video recording device.
- To complete your application, you will need to upload & submit a 30 second clip of your playing or singing with spoken introduction (your name, town & country, instrument and the name of the piece – in English please if possible). Perform any piece, any standard: it’s just to show us how we would write a part for you. You must perform by yourself, as a soloist/individual. Email us if you have any problems uploading it via the application form, but try to make the file as small as possible (maximum 20MB) and wait for it to load. You will get a confirmation message on the screen if your application has been submitted. If you are experiencing difficulties in uploading your video, try clearing the cache and cookies of your browser.
- You must apply as an individual. Applications from groups, choirs, bands or orchestras are not eligible.
- If chosen to participate and represent your country in this video, you will be required to film a short 30 second interview to introduce yourself along with your music. We will provide guidance on this and send you everything you will need, so don’t let this be a worry.
- If you are selected, and you are under 18, a Parent or Guardian must sign a permission form for you to be able to participate.
- Email us with any questions at: email@example.com.