Oxford Cello School 2022
July 16 - July 30
About the Oxford Cello School
The Oxford Cello School (OCS) is an international cello and double bass summer school founded in 1980 by Marianne Gottfeldt to provide a unique opportunity for cellists and bassists to focus on their instrument and receive the very best tuition in an intensive environment.
This remains our philosophy. Our dedicated and enthusiastic staff, as well as other course members, provide inspiration and encouragement which stimulates students to develop previously unexploited potential.
Since its establishment the OCS has been proud to welcome students of all ages, backgrounds, nationalities and abilities. Our orchestras take advantage of the cello’s unrivalled versatility and have performed a vast repertoire of works from all musical eras including pieces from eminent modern composers commissioned by the OCS.
We take the task of helping players to improve very seriously and our excellent staff/student relationship creates the ideal relaxed atmosphere in which to achieve fantastic results. Flexibility is always a priority and we consider the individual needs of each and every student to be of paramount importance.
We look forward to working with you to make a year’s progress in a week!
- Honorary President: Leonid Gorokhov
- Patrons: Alexander Baillie, Philip Sheppard, David Strange, Raphael Wallfisch
- Directors: Stephen Gottfeldt, Samantha Morgan
Courses, dates and prices
We offer a wide selection of courses to cater for all requirements. Below you will find a quick overview.
- Please click on the links for each course type for more details and prices of specific courses.
- The ‘grades’ next to ‘standard required’ are those of the ABRSM. If you have not taken a cello exam or are not aware of the ABRSM grading system don’t worry – you do not have to have taken or have any knowledge of ABRSM grades to attend Oxford Cello School, they are merely a useful way to gauge which course is the most suitable. If you require assistance just call or email us and we will be able to recommend a course to you.
- If you feel you do not fit anywhere into the programs listed below please contact us and we’ll find a solution!
- Performance (23-30 July 2022)
- Performance Plus (20-30 July 2022)
- Advanced (23-30 July 2022)
- Advanced Plus (20-30 July 2022)
- Intermediate (23-30 July 2022)
- Intermediate Plus (20-30 July 2022)
Junior course (20-24 July 2022)
Exam booster course (25-29 July 2022)
Adult diploma course (16-23 July 2022)
Adult advanced course (16-23 July 2022)
- Adult improvers (16-21 July 2022)
- Adult improvers Plus (16-23 July 2022)
Double-bass teaching for cello teachers course (21-22 July 2022)
- Chris Doggett
- Lawrence Durkin
- Elizabeth Parkin
- Erin James
- Elizabeth Harré
- Paul Cox
- Claire Babington
- Matthew Forbes
- Katy Cox
- David Kadumukasa
- Tim Smedley
- Helen Downham
- Peteris Sokolovskis
- Hannah Monkhouse
- Arthur Boutillier
- Tristan Horne
- Sergio Serra
- Robert Legg
- Sheelach Harte
- Andrew Nesbitt
- Gavin Kibble
Registration and fees
To register online, please visit the Oxford Cello School website.