NORVIS Early Music Summer School 2021
The NORVIS team has been working hard to bring you the 50th NORVIS in person in the summer of 2021, when we all hope that guidance and regulation will allow our wonderful music summer school to take place.
Welcome to the 50th NORVIS Early Music Summer School
NORVIS is an annual full week-long early music summer school in County Durham which we’re proud to describe as one of the UK’s longest-established and friendliest early music summer schools.
We are celebrating our Golden Jubilee, in 2021 rather than 2020, as we move to a fine new venue at Barnard Castle School, next door to the splendid Bowes Museum.
‘Sympathetic and informative teaching’
‘Very good variety – always something I wanted to do’
‘Good fun, great atmosphere, very good repertoire’
‘Went beyond expectations’
About the course
If you love playing early music, a week at NORVIS will enable you to make progress.
- We teach and perform with recorders, viols, lutes, baroque strings, harpsichord and voices, and cover a wide range of repertoire from early Renaissance to late Baroque.
- We have an impressive line-up of specialist performers and teachers.
- We have a particularly generous student-tutor ratio.
- We give a number of bursaries to enable individuals to participate in NORVIS who would be otherwise unable to do so.
- Andrew Fowler – Musical Director
- Elizabeth Dodd – viol, dance
- Alison Kinder – recorder, baroque oboe
- Oonagh Lee – recorder, baroque oboe
- Richard MacKenzie – lute, theorbo, early guitar
- Chris Orton – recorder
- Susanna Pell – viol
- Jacqui Robertson-Wade – solo bass viol
- Jane Rumney – recorder
- John Treherne MBE – harpsichord
- Mary Tyers – recorder
- Michael Willamson – baroque strings
- Tim Harper – accompanist, keyboard continuo
Fees for adults
- Full board and tuition: £790.00
- Non-resident with tuition (inc lunch and evening meal): £580.00
Fees for young people and those in full-time education
- Full board and tuition: £650.00
- Non-resident with tuition (inc lunch and evening meal): £480.00
- There is an ‘Early Bird’ discount of £20 for applications before 1 April 2021
- A discount of £50 on tuition fees will be given to those introducing a new participant
- A discount of £50 per person will be offered to adults sharing a room (not applicable to young people/students, who are normally expected to share)
Bursaries and help with fees
- Please visit the NORVIS website for detailed information