- This event has passed.
The Phoenix Collective: Music in the Primary Classroom
October 26, 2019 @ 9:00 am - October 27, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
About the course
- Are you tasked with delivering primary music?
- Are you a music subject leader?
- Would you like to refresh your current practice by learning new ideas?
- Would you like to learn child-friendly, multi-sensory ways to teach musical skills, knowledge and understanding to children of all ages?
- Would you like to add to your CPD portfolio?
Cyrilla Rowsell’s Music in the Primary Classroom is both for those those completely new to the Kodály approach as well as for those who already have some experience.
Within it, Cyrilla will look at:
- What should children sing?
- Why should children sing?
- What makes a good song?
- How many things can we do with a song?
- How to teach a song
- The value and purpose of singing games
- What are we wanting to achieve when children sing?
Teaching musical elements
Learn how to teach musical elements through song and rhyme material, including:
Structure and progression
- How to plan and structure a lesson and a sequence of lessons
- How to link material and activities in order to ensure the most effective learning
- How to start teaching children of 9+ who are new to this way of working
Joining Cyrilla for this course will be the creative educator Gerard Klaassens from the Netherlands. He will be looking at:
- Learn new repertoire from around the world, including songs from Africa, Europe, India and South America
- In these sessions you will discover lively and creative ways to respond to music from the classical repertoire
Working with materials
- No budget for instruments?
Learn how to use everyday objects – paper, ribbons, drumsticks, spoons and puppets – to enhance the musical experience of your students!
Rounds, canons and partner songs
Explore ways to prepare for successful part-singing, using movement, rhythm exercises and ostinati
You will also learn new repertoire and how to help your students achieve beautiful canon singing
If you would like to book for this exciting course, please visit The Phoenix Collective’s website. Places are limited, so book early!
The fee includes two full days of tuition, handout material and lunch and refreshments on both days. The fee may be payable in full by adding the course to your cart but if you would like to pay in two instalments, please contact email@example.com