- This event has passed.
Music and the Youth Sector
June 3, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sound Connections is offering this course free of charge due to the current COVID-19 situation. However, Sound Connections is a charity and we would appreciate your support to enable us to continue to offer opportunities to those working with young people through music. If you are able to donate please do so here.
This online session aims to bring together youth professionals and music educators to share how we can support young people through music in youth work settings.
It will be mindful to the current COVID-19 situation, and how to maintain engagement with young people through music if face-to-face activity isn’t possible.
Who is this session for?
This session is for London Youth members, music practitioners, instrumental/vocal tutors, community musicians working in or interested in working in a youth work setting.
The session will include:
- Introduction and overview of the youth sector and the music education sector
Philip Flood (Sound Connections) and Emily Reddon (London Youth)
- Supporting young people into careers in music
Liz Coomb (Sound Connections) and Esther Bokuma Lenda (artist, Sound Connections young trustee
and former Wired4Music member)
- Musical genres, lyrical content and learning practices young people are interested in
Colin Brent and Christopher Ellington AKA Likkle Dotz (Bollobrook Youth Centre)
- Music activities and ideas that could be used to engage vulnerable young people in a setting and an online environment
- Sharing session between participants: what works for you at the moment?
This training day is delivered as a partnership between Sound Connections and London Youth.
We have a number of bursaries available to support practitioners attending our training events, including those from outside of London. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.