- This event has passed.
MU21C: Music Education for the 21st Century – Conference
October 5, 2019 @ 9:00 am - October 6, 2019 @ 4:30 pm
About the event
MU21C is a two-day music education conference marking the launch of the new National Occupational Skills Standard (NOSS) for music teaching in Malaysia.
Running over Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 October at ASWARA, the event offers opportunities for teachers, students, musicians and the music industry to participate in a lively and diverse programme of hands-on sessions, to network with each other, and find out more about the new NOSS qualification.
The speakers and performers combine local and international input, with participating experts from Malaysia and the UK.
Who MU21C is for
MU21C is designed for everyone who is passionate about music education:
- Teachers in primary and secondary schools, international schools and music centres
- Private teachers
- Music students age 12 and upwards
- Researchers and academics
- Music business and industry personnel
- Music entrepreneurs
- Government Ministry officials
Practical, hands-on workshops, presentations and discussions
- Introduction to World Music
- Top tips and advice for teaching music to young children
- Fun activities for developing children’s musical skills
- Demonstration coaching classes for young musicians
- Performance masterclasses with young musicians
- Using technology to enhance your studio
- Playing it by ear – releasing the inner musician through improvisation
- Made in Malaysia: musical instrument making and standardisation
- Specialist music education in the UK – an introduction
- Beyond the exams – what should a rounded music education look like?
- John Cameron, St Mary’s Music School, Edinburgh (UK)
- Andy Gleadhill, Drums for Schools (UK)
- George Hess, Sunway University (Malaysia)
- Helen MacGregor, Collins Music (UK)
- Ramlan Mohd Imam, ASWARA (Malaysia)
- Salehhuddin Md Salleh, National Department for Culture and Arts (Malaysia)
- Kenneth Taylor, St Mary’s Music School, Edinburgh (UK)
Bookings and fees
Bookings may be made online through the MU21C Eventbrite page.
- It is possible to attend for both days (Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 October) or one day. Attendees are asked to pay a registration fee of MYR50 plus an Eventbrite fee of MYR2.50
- The registration fee will be refunded within 7 working days of attendance at the event, thanks to the support of JPK, ASWARA and sponsoring organisations
- Collins Music
- Dinosaurs Education
- Drums for Schools
- St Mary’s Music School, Edinburgh
- Sunway University
Official Media Partner
- HOM Music