- This event has passed.
1-day CPD event: Composing with intention
October 20 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Led by Rachel Shapey, author of ‘How to Teach Composition in the Secondary Classroom – 50 Inspiring Ideas’ (HarperCollins) and Director at I Can Compose, this in-person course is designed for secondary classroom teachers wanting to refresh their approach to delivering composition in the classroom and seeking to support their students in creating imaginative and successful compositions.
Throughout the day, the theme Composing with Intention will permeate, as teaching composing creatively, musically and thoughtfully, will be explored in depth.
The course includes tried and tested activities such as starters and plenaries for composition lessons; tasks for teaching compositional techniques (for example melody writing, adding chords and developing a melody) and ideas for both tech and non-tech classrooms which can be adapted for any music department.
Approaches to teaching composition at KS3 will be discussed, including monitoring progress, assessment strategies and engaging projects to inspire and enthuse students.
There will be a session focussing on GCSE and A level* composition, exploring how to support both under-confident and more able students to maximise their creative potential and achieving the balance between creative freedom and technical precision to help students compose music they can be proud of.
*If delegates are delivering A level composition, this will be included.
Benefits of attending
- Take away tried-and-tested strategies and approaches for delivering composition in the secondary classroom.
- Gain new techniques, lesson activities and ideas to adapt and develop in the classroom.
- Find out more about teaching compositional techniques at GCSE and A level.
- Take away strategies for delivering composition at KS3.
- Understand how to implement a holistic approach to teaching composition, helping students to make connections between the four main strands of music (performing, listening, analysing and composing)
What teachers have said about Rachel Shapey’s previous courses
“Rachel is an excellent presenter – knowledgeable, friendly and so approachable. She is very well organised and is plugging a gap in the CPD music teacher-composition market that is so needed! Thank you so much – my school / students will benefit hugely.”
“Thank you for today, it’s been brilliant.”
“I’ve been so inspired today – so many helpful ideas that I can actually use in the classroom straight away and simple approaches that will improve my lessons.”