Schools Printed Music Licence
The Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML) covers copying from printed music.
The licence provides annual blanket permission to copy and reuse content from printed music in the following ways:
- Make photocopies and scans of entire works of printed music or up to 10% of an anthology or choral work
- Use score-writing software programs to arrange print music
- Make notations by hand on copies of print music
- Make new arrangements to suit any instrumentation your school has available
- Share print music on a school VLE
- Make copies of music score printed from any licensed online source
Copies made must be for use in school activities.
Schools Printed Music Licence exceptions
Although you are free to copy the vast majority of musical works under the licence, there are a few exceptions and exclusions that you need to know about.
- Works used for collective Christian worship are excluded but you can obtain a licence from Christian Copyright Licensing International
- A small amount of specific titles are excluded by their publishers. View the list of specific exclusions.
Am I covered by the Schools Printed Music Licence?
Details of which institutions are covered are shown below:
- State maintained schools in England
All schools in this sector are covered under a national agreement with the Department of Education
- State maintained schools in Scotland
All schools in this sector are covered under a national agreement with the Scottish Government
- State maintained schools in Northern Ireland
All schools in this sector are covered under a national agreement with the Education Authority
- State maintained schools in Wales
Schools are licensed through local councils. View the list of licensed Welsh schools to check if your school is covered
- Independent schools in England
Contact The Independent Association of Prep Schools for more information
- Independent schools in Scotland
Contact The Scottish Council of Independent Schools for more information
Please click on the links below to view user guides and licence terms.