Oxford University Press

Contact Information
Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford, South East England OX2 6DP
Detailed Information

The Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML) covers copying from printed music.

The licence provides annual blanket permission to copy and reuse content from printed music in the following ways:

  • Make photocopies and scans of entire works of printed music or up to 10% of an anthology or choral work
  • Use score-writing software programs to arrange print music
  • Make notations by hand on copies of print music
  • Make new arrangements to suit any instrumentation your school has available
  • Share print music on a school VLE

The school must own at least one original copy of the sheet music and the copy must be for use in school activities.

Schools Printed Music Licence exceptions

Although you are free to copy the vast majority of musical works under the licence, there are a few exceptions and exclusions that you need to know about.

Am I covered by the Schools Printed Music Licence?

Details of which institutions are covered are shown below:

  • State maintained schools in England
    All schools in this sector are covered under a national agreement with the Department of Education
  • State maintained schools in Scotland
    All schools in this sector are covered under a national agreement with the Scottish Government
  • State maintained schools in Northern Ireland
    All schools in this sector are covered under a national agreement with the Education Authority
  • State maintained schools in Wales
    Schools are licensed through local councils. If your school is in Bridgend, Conwy, Denbighshire, Merthyr Tydfil or Vale of Glamorgan, you should view the list of licensed Welsh schools to check if it is included. If your school is in any other council area, then it is not licensed and you should ask your council if they will arrange a licence on your behalf
  • Independent schools in England
    Contact The Independent Association of Prep Schools for more information
  • Independent schools in Scotland
    Contact The Scottish Council of Independent Schools for more information

Support resources

Please click on the links below to view user guides and licence terms.

You might also like